Monday, December 14, 2009

Porto - Portugal

My first encounter with port wine was in its birthplace of Porto, Portugal. But it wasn't the dessert wine that I fondly remember this town for, but rather how it marked the beginning of my first solo trip. I spent my first full day mesmerized by the town's picturesque beauty and antiquity. Not to mention, I was high off my independence and loving every street that I turned down. I enjoyed getting lost because it meant I had an excuse to wander down unfamiliar streets. And when I finally emerged at the river banks, I stopped, sat down, waited, and just watched. I stared at ships, people watched, and took an excessive amount of fotos. When I felt it was time to continue walking, I simply kept on my wandering ways. I picked up my first Portuguese fedora from a local vendor and was giddy about the purchase. Later, I crossed the bridge that led me down to the famous wine caves and there I flowed in and out of tasting rooms and scribbled down my favorite ports and how they tasted. Before long, I was tipsy and decided to walk along the waterfront until I came across the quaintest restaurant I could find, took a seat, and ordered the fish of the day. I ate lunch in silence at a tiny, two person table reviewing my notes from the day, looking out over the river, and thinking to myself, "Today, I am happy."

No comments:

Post a Comment